Friday, March 20, 2009

Lady Peaceful, Lady Happy...


So its been a few days, and I feel like I've processed it a bit, but obviously a few days ago Natasha Richardson died.

As usual, I'm sad whenever a talented contributor to the entertainment industry passes, but this seems different somehow. Again, not to get too into my personal life, but my family (large and extended that it is) is currently waiting for an organ donation, so the idea of a person who was brain dead being taken off life support concerns us greatly (obviously, my Uncle John did not get Natasha Richardson's liver) so it was a strange thing to hear about.

But it also touched me because of Ms. Richardson's career. She was a very talented woman and her theater credits mean the most to me. She was in the late 90s revival of Cabaret. Her version of "Maybe This Time" made me fall in love with the song. Obviously Liza's version remains the standard, but Ms. Richardson's version has such real feeling and pain in it. I've listened to it again a few times in the past few days. I forgot how much I love it.

No comments: