Saturday, February 14, 2009

Whedon's Wonderful World of The Weird and Wordy




I spent a lot of time coming up with that title.

Wine hangovers are kind of good for nothing, except getting caught up on TV online. This morning I watched the premiere of Dollhouse.

Let me preface this review with a few things. I love Joss Whedon. LOVE HIM! I think he's brilliant, he changed TV (Without Buffy, there would no WB, with no WB there would be no Felicity, with no Felicity there's no JJ Abrams...I think that speaks for itself), and oh right the greatest peice of web based entertainment EVER!!

But saying that...I think Dollhouse fell short. I expect certain things from Whedon...I want wit and banter to combine with darkness to create something different. I saw very very little of Joss's wit in this pilot. The concept is ripe for it, the idea of wiping the minds of a group of people and then reprogramming them for various tasks and in between they live in a beautiful Asian Deco themed home without a care in the world.

Eliza Dushku is great as Echo, the "doll" at the center. She's always been highly underrated. Remember Bring it On? You know the original one, where she and Kirsten Dunst and a pre DH Jesse Metcalfe were really really funny. Or you know Buffy, where she was better than Buffy? I admire Joss's dedication to his discoveries.

The whole thing was just too slow and too dark. It felt like I was watching JJ Abrams's stuff. If I wanted to watch JJ Abrams, I would. Where were the biting quips? Everyone was talking way too slow.

And what's a shame is you know that Fox is going to keep it around for a while:
1. Because they're still trying to atone to Whedon fans for pulling the plug on Firefly
2. Because they don't cancel anything! (Except Arrested Development) Sarah Connor Chronicles springs to mind, also the past four or five years of Family Guy, also The Simpsons...
3. Because there's a lot of naked or semi naked Eliza Dushku and she's really really hot.

I'll watch the already made seven episodes as they come and report as to my further interest in the show. I'd like to see Sarah Michelle make a guest appereance. Seriously, what are she and Freddie up to lately that she's disappeared?

Personally, I'd rather see the sequel to Dr. Horrible happen than more of this. But I guess between How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang, Dollhouse and Castle, its not likely to happen until hiatus! Bummer

1 comment:

brat_packer said...

I read somewhere that the wit and banter comes in around the 3rd episode, i'm in OZ and i'll probably never get to see this except online, if you know where please let me know because i worship at the alter of Whedon...I received numerous confused looks when telling people that 'it'll be curtains for you, lacy, gently wafting curtains'...