Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Reason why I love how my parents raised me...

I have a lot to be grateful for when I think about my upbringing. My parents love me, clothed me, feed me, paid for and are still paying for an amazing education.

But I think if I were to be grateful for one thing over anything else, I'm so grateful for the music. Classic rock permeated my household growing up. And its something that continues to seep into everything I do.

Yesterday my mother texted me letting me know that we now have Springsteen tickets for May 23 at the IZOD Center (I had to retype that, since its still Continental in my head.) I'm 21 years old and this is the third time my parents are treating my to Springsteen. The first time I was 14. It was December of 2001 and I saw him at the Asbury Park Convention Center. It was an exceptionally cool concert because

1. Springsteen any time is an amazing concert
2. Springsteen in a teeny tiny 3000 seat arena is unreal
3. Springsteen in Asbury Park is so rare and special
4. It was December 2001. He had just written, "My City of Ruins," "The Rising," and "You're Missing," and he played all three of them, no one had ever heard the songs, and we were all blown away by their sheer power.
5. It was Christmas time, so he closed with "Santa Clause is Comin to Town" before coming back on and doing "Rosalita."

Then I went again this summer, to Giant's Stadium. It was my sister's first Springsteen and once again "Rosalita" our family's anthem (A long and very bizarre story, don't ask!) closed the night and we were literally dancing in the aisles.

Now we're going again, the day after my finals end (what better way to kick off the summer?) and taking my cousin Tommy for his first as a graduation from 8th grade present.

After the Superbowl halftime show I'm itching for a full Springsteen concert and four months is absolutely worth the wait.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

meehhhh im so jealoussss
the halftime show made me so happy/made me miss home like crazy cuz only like 1 of my friends here actually appreciated it