Monday, May 4, 2009

Ketchup Part I: Heroes


I spent this weekend catching up on all of the stuff I missed in the past week, being busy with you know, school and crap. But some things caught me more than others...and I think it's just me getting geared up for movie season (which began on Friday with Wolverine, which I didn't get a chance to see, you will hear from me when I do, never fear) that my attention was drawn to big block bustery shows this week...I don't have time to do them all at once, so one post at a time it is.

First, we have the Heroes season finale, which was, without a doubt one of the best episodes in a while. It really reminded me of the late season 1 episodes. You remember, when everyone started to find their way to each other in New York, and Peter and Claire realized that they needed to be a team to save the world. Yeah...except this time, ground zero was Washington. Hiro and Ando saved all of the special people from Building 26, but Hiro has begun getting nosebleeds and headaches. Mohinder reminds him that even though they have special abilities, they are still only human.

Sylar continues to pretend to be Nathan, and even knocks out the real Nathan when he confronts him. Shortly after this, Claire shows up, and immediately senses that something is wrong. She knows that this isn't her father. They go to a hotel where the president is speaking. Sylar knows that once he shakes the president's hand he'll be able to immitate him, and as a result take over the world. Claire and Sylar are in a hotel room when the real Nathan calls her, Sylar, apparently aware that the girl knows something is up, immediately immitates Claire while forcing her to stay still and quiet with the puppet master powers. He later taunts her, reminding her that one day every one she loves will be dead, and he'll be the only one left for her. "Surely after a few hundred years it'll get boring, trying to kill me?" He then does what the evil villain must always do to the scrappy damsel in distress...he offers to make her his "queen" of sorts. This pathetic cliche is even terrifying and chill inducing when it comes from Zachary Quinto. The guy is just good. (Friday, people, its Friday!)

Peter and Nathan show up at the hotel and go to the room and fight Sylar...once again we're gyped out of the Sylar and Peter fight sequence, we only see Claire looking through a crack in the door and a lot of blue light. (I know, I know, we're going to see them fight eventually...probably in the series finale...it's just highly frustrating.) Peter emerges, and Claire asks if its really him and he looks at her like this is a stupid question. Sylar then murders Nathan by slitting his throat. It's pretty gruesome and shocking. We all knew that Nathan was doomed (so far in every version of the future there are two constants, Claire has brown hair and Nathan is dead) but I didn't expect it to come here. Sylar goes down to the President's speech as Nathan and waits in a limo for him. He finally shakes his hand, and the President immediately changes. To Peter.

After capturing him, Angela and Noah convince Parkman to enter Sylar's mind and convince him that he's not Sylar at all but Nathan.

Volume 4 ends with all of the Heroes around a fire burning Sylar's body. This Star Warsian scene is kind of touching. Peter and Claire, obviously don't know that Nathan is in fact the one who fell, not Sylar, because they speak briefly to each other about how "its over now, he's gone." Noah and Angela then discuss with Sylar/Nathan what their next move should be. They ultimately decide to restart the company. Don't they ever learn?

Volume 5: Redemption begins in the apartment of one of the agents from Nathan's failed concentration camp, he is returning, and it's partially flooded. He is baffled, but slowly out of the water a woman emerges. It's Ali Larter! The third triplet. She says simply, "You must be number four!" Before becoming liquid again and drowning him. Then we see Sylar/Nathan sitting in his office reading about the drowning. Angela comes in and reminds him that he has a meeting with the president that he's their hope. He's distracted staring at a clock and remarks that it's running fast. He fixes it and walks outside.

I really enjoyed this episode and I think they've set up some great stuff for next season (which we still don't know for sure if we're getting) Nathan's death is still pretty baffling to me, only because its only season 3. But I can't wait to see the whole ticking time bomb element of Sylar's character. We'll see how it goes. Really, I just hope we get back to Peter centered storylines. I mean, I liked shifting the focus to Parkman this season, don't get me wrong, but it seemed like Peter was simply a minor character. This isn't just my Milo-love talking, he's the GD chosen one, he needs to be more important.

No comments: