Thursday, May 14, 2009

Finally!


At last, people are being rational...

A vatican paper has come out after seeing a screening of Angels and Demons (which thanks to Dan Brown's ridiculous blustering has been given controversial status) deemed the film, "inaccurate but harmless."

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! That's what I've been saying about Brown's work since I was fifteen. And if a fifteen year old can pick up on that, why the hell has it taken The Vatican almost ten years to come around to it?

Brown's books are interesting engaging thrillers. Their formulaic and a little bit stupid, like Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys, but for adults. There's something rewarding about reading a Brown book because you feel really smart when you figured out the ending ten pages before the protagonist. Granted, when I read The DaVinci Code, the first Brown book I picked up, I didn't do this, but all of the ones I've read since, I've done OK on. You get to throw the book down into the sand (the beach is where Brown's books should be read) and say "Haha! I am not a Harvard Professor of Symbology (or whatever) but I figured out that the priest was the bad guy before you Robert Langdon! I am smart, and perceptive, where as you are a fool!"

I have to tell you, my crisis of faith a few years ago, had nothing to do with Dan Brown. In fact the whole Dan Brown, the Church is evil stuff just made me cling harder to being Catholic because I wanted to defend my beliefs. Anyway, I'm just happy that finally we're seeing some sense out of the Vatican when it comes to commenting on these things. And I get to do the "I told you so" dance.

No comments: