Wednesday, May 13, 2009

JJ I apologize: 2

Seriously, I have to give JJ Abrams so much respect after watching the season finale of Fringe this week I thought about how hard he's worked, and how much he's done to get to the point where he can really do what he wants to do, that is create a solid, tradition Science Fiction world, like the one he's doing with Fringe, if you look at the trajectory of his career, he's earned it.

His first series was Felicity. I love Felicity, I thought the show was fantastic. I was also an eleven year old girl. He bizarrely ended it with Felicity traveling back in time to warn his younger self of the troubles ahead. (In JJ's time travel rules you're allowed to do that)

Then came Alias...a show I dropped after its third season, but loved for those three seasons. More action than Sci-Fi, it still had the elements of good Sci-Fi, including conspiracies and all powerful infrastructures that couldn't be trusted but for the individuals in them.

Lost, oh Lost, its Sci-Fi that isn't really Sci-Fi, but it's accesible Sci-Fi, because the focus isn't as much on the bizarre, although its there always in the backfround, but instead the focus falls to the incredibly deep and well developed characters. With Lost's explosion, it gave him the chance to spread his wings and do some much more genre specific stuff.

Cloverfield and Star Trek are well formed fully flushed out sci-fi films. One an original creature destruction story, another a well tailored revamp of a classic space opera. Both are important to the genre and well executed by him.

Then came Fringe. I doubted the show's power many times. It was slow to get going, seemed burdened by its X-Files ripoff structure, and its strange runtime. After the return from the far too long hiatus I actually stopped watching for a while, and one slow Sunday watched four episodes in a row. I was stunned. The show had turned some kind of corner, and it took off and flew in this weeks' season finale.

[Spoiler Alert]

Walter and Peter resolved a great deal, when Peter made a speech about good memories and making pancakes (Lord, can Josh Jackson, give an agnst ridden speech. I personally feel like this traces back a while. To about here. Emilio taught him very well) which triggered something in Walter to remember the past, and what he and William Bell had always intended to do.

But it was the last five minutes that got me. Olivia heads to New York to meet with Nina Sharp and learn the location of William Bell. When Sharp stands her up she goes to return to her car. While in the car she receives a few flashes, indicating a switch to the paralell universe. The doors open and she is lead to an office my a woman in a black dress. She stands looking around trying to figure out what happened. Then out of the shadows comes...SPOCK...OK, no, its Leonard Nimoy, and they participate in this exchange.

Spock: Agent Dunham, I've been waiting for you.
Olivia: Where am I? Who are you?
Spock: The answer to your first question is (Shatneresque pause) complicated. As for your second question. I am William Bell.

Olivia stumbles back and turns looking out the window. There is a slow pull back and it is revealed that Olivia and Bell are in the World Trade Center. IN ALTERNATE REALITY THERE WAS NO SEPTEMBER 11!!!!! Or something.

Anyway, I said I apologized for my doubt last Friday, but Good God, if you orchestrate that kind of a twist, all is forgiven. And, is Nimoy the new Greg Grunberg? Just always in everything JJ does in some capacity? (BTW, he is in fact in Star Trek, he's the voice of Kirk's step father.) Anyway, JJ, I will burn the list of reasons why I hate JJ Abrams. I even forgive you for killing Charlie...and not telling us what the numbers mean yet.

No comments: