Saturday, January 31, 2009

What I don't like

So the other day the AV Club, who I adore reading, posted this Q&A and it got me thinking about it's topic, "Guilty Displeasures" things that you don't particularly care for but feel bad about because of their supposed greatness.



For me? Its always been The Catcher in The Rye. I know, when I read it as a sixteen year old, I was supposed to relate to Holden Caulfield and his agnsty nervous breakdown. But I've never liked the book. I think Holden is an asshole and annoying and I kind of wish he had succeeded in his suicide attempt because then I wouldn't have had to read that 100 or so pages about him.


That and The Sex Pistols. I can't stand The Sex Pistols. I like punk, so I like them on the basis that I like the movement that they started, but I can't stand their music. I think The Ramones are a lot better. Why? I guess because of the whole you can actually sing a long to the Ramones thing...or maybe I just don't like The Sex Pistols.



Oh right, and The Matrix. Now don't get me wrong, I get The Matrix, I get the whole philosophical aspect, I get the revolutionary technological aspects, I even enjoy watching Neo as a Christ figure, I just don't particularly enjoy watching the movie, and I downright hate watching the sequels.

So that's my little list. What about any of you? What are your guilty displeasures? Things that you've never liked that you always felt kind of odd about not liking. I'd love to hear from people.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I agree about Catcher in the Rye, except I don't really feel guilty for hating it. Book sucks, man.

I do, however, <3 The Matrix. Or I did the one time I watched it. Yes, I fail at pop culture. But we knew this.

Reenie said...

Honestly Jen? I wish I had only watched it once.

I've seen it too many times, and I've seen the 2nd one a few times and that was too many times.

I've seen the third one once, which was definitely too many times.

preppyplayer said...

Hey Reenie, I agree with you on all counts. Sometimes I feel as though it is the emperor's new clothes- that I am the only one that see s it!