Saturday, August 15, 2009

Summer Reading: Julie and Julia

OK, so I've been meaning to pick up this book all summer. Really. But then the great Tamora Pierce quest happened. Anyway, I finally got around to it.

I love reading memoirs. Especially fun, pithy funny ones who's plots wouldn't be dissimilar to a chick flick. Hell, this one is so like that it has now been made into a chick flick, written and directed by the Queen of Chick Flicks Norah Ephron, but I digress.

Julie and Julia is a truly adorable book. Julie Powell is tantalizingly neurotic, and straddles the line between annoying and endearing perfectly. There are plenty of times when you roll your eyes at her, but you get the feeling that she's rolling her own eyes too.

For those of you who live under rocks, Julie and Julia chronicles Julie Powell's quest to cook every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering The Art of French Cooking. It's also about sex. A lot about sex actually. But anyway...

I did feel myself getting fatter just reading about some of meals Julie made out of the book. I've never been much of a cook, I'm a baker, I make a mean yellow buttermilk cupcake, but cooking also seemed way to precarious for me. My brother and my mom are great cooks, they can whip up anything and it comes out delicious. I got the feeling that Julie was this kind of cook before her "project," so it was less of a stretch for her.

I liked the book. Didn't love it. But with the endless abyss of school only reading coming to me in just a week (EEK!) I'm not being picky. I definitely still want to see the movie. Definitely.

No comments: