Thursday, August 6, 2009

RIP John Hughes


So something's happening this summer. Today writer/director John Hughes passed away.

Hughes wrote the Teen Comedy classics of the 80s, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Weird Science and my personal favorite Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Ferris is one of the funniest movies ever made. John Hughes had a distinct voice as a writer, that definitely came through in that movie above all of his others. I could probably quote it for a whole day if I wanted to, but I won't. I'll just list some of my favorites.

"The secret to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non specific symptom. Some people think a good phony fever is the way to go, but if you get a nervous mother you could end up in a doctor's office, that's worse than school. What you do is fake a stomach cramp and when you're bent over moaning and wailing you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid but then again so is high school."

"Isms in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, I don't believe in Beatles I just believe in me. Good point, he was the walrus, I could be the Walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off of people."

"There's someone you should talk to." "If you say Ferris Bueller, you lose a testicle." "Oh so you know him?"

"You're not dying, you just can't think of anything good to do."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I can't come to the door right now. I'm afraid that in my weakened condition, I could take a nasty spill down the stairs and subject myself to further school absences. You can reach my parents at their places of business. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your concern for my well-being. Have a nice day!"

Do you all have any favorite moments from John Hughes's movies!

1 comment:

brat_packer said...

Okay it is really little but in The Breakfast Club when they are all eating lunch Bender pulls up his chair next to Brian and starts pulling the food out, Brian goes to grab it and Bender slaps his hand away...it is just so awesome in that moment I lose it everytime. As far fav Hughes moments its pretty much stock; all of Ferris, Uncle Buck, Home Alone, Flubber, PiP, 16 C, Weird Science, Vacation, European Vacation, SKoW, TBC and Home Alone 2!