Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's a scary place.


Sometimes I wouldn't mind seeing how things connect in my mind. The way it can go from one thing to another so quickly...for me, how it's possible to go from one thing so opposed to another with just a few clicks...

This morning I handed in a paper on Henry Fielding's novel The Adventures of Joseph Andrews. Joseph is a self righteous young hero...this made me think of Dawson Leery (let's be honest, a lot of things do), which reminded me that I had to watch last night's episode of Fringe...which reminded me that I have a meeting tonight during Lost, which reminded me that tonight during Lost there's going to be a sneak peek at Star Trek, which reminded me that I have to get tickets to a midnight showing, which made me wonder what trailers are going to be attached to the film...which made me wonder when the New Moon trailer is coming...which made me go off in search of New Moon news.

Saw some set photos, namely Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner on the bikes. YESSSS! So psyched, I cannot even begin to say. Honestly, I'm getting past my Twerd guilt. (Let's face the facts, I am a little old for it. But I'm a little old for my Chuck Bass lust too and my obsession with Degrassi, there are certain things that we just don't outgrow) So, I'm coming around. I've now read New Moon 3 times, Eclipse also. Since Eclipse is already green lit, and there are even talks about putting Channing Tatum in as Victoria's second in command Riley, (Can the Twilight movies even contain anymore hotness? I put it to your opinions) and the casting choices for the Volturi in place...(sigh, why don't I actually write letters...the results would be so much less disappointing to me then.)

I've also come around to Chris Weitz as a director. I watch The Golden Compass again recently (about a month ago) and although it's still not a particularly good movie, the performances don't lack, it's stunning visually and the FX sequences cannot be matched. If th Quileute wolves look half as good as the Ice Bears or the daemons of Compass I think we're going to be OK. Also, I don't know why it didn't click with me at first, but Weitz also has huge experience dealing with teen driven storylines. The man directed American Pie! Again, not one of my favorites (Although it does have two of my favorite underrated actresses in it, Shannen Elizabeth and of course Allison Hannigan, who isn't so much underrated as she flies under the radar) it's still a skillfully crafted genre movie. Which, let's be honest again...New Moon is a mix of three genres, epic romance, traditional horror, and buddy bonding. I think Weitz is up to it.

And truthfully? I'm hoping the trailer will be attached to Harry Potter...it makes sense no?

2 comments:

Jen said...

"this made me think of Dawson Leery (let's be honest, a lot of things do)"

So true. =)

Star Trek. I've gotta say, I was not pleased by the prospect of a new movie, then I saw Quinto in the Spock makeup and got really really excited. But now, after reading leaks about the plot, my expectations aren't high. Star Trek is not a franchise where you can change the source material; fans aren't going to stand for a "reboot" that contradicts already established facts about the universe (Jenna: "Those aren't phasers, they're photon torpedoes!").

Oh well. I'm still looking forward to the experience of that midnight showing. :) The Indiana Jones crowd was a bit of a letdown, but surely even NEPA has a good crowd of Trekkies who'll turn out.

Reenie said...

I don't know...this morning I watched the clip of what I assume to be McCoy's entrance...It was pretty keyed in and perfect. But yeah, there are things I'm just not sure about either, and I'm not even a fan the way you are.

"Those aren't phasers they're proton torpedoes!" Oh Lord, how did I forget about that?

Honestly, the fanboys are going to have a busy month, so there won't be too much time to rip it apart. I mean, they've got Wolverine to hate this week, Star Trek to hate for the next two and Terminator: Salvation to hate after that.

But yeah, Quinto in the Spock makeup...PERFECT. I'm still mad at Heroes for making just some dude his dad instead of Nimoy. Major let down.