Friday, April 17, 2009

Icons

So I've been really into Southland (Ben McKenzie + Gun + Cop Uniform + Gun + Motorcycle = Melty Reenie) but that's not what this post is about. Life magazine's website did a photo retrospective on Audrey Hepburn. One of the pictures stood out to me:

The blonde is Grace Kelly. My mom and I have garnered comparison to HRH for years, mostly because we're Irish women and the Irish as a people only have like 4 profiles among us, and we happen to share hers...it's a blessing. But Grace and Audrey (aside from making some of my favorite movies) have been a huge part of my life.

My mother has a rule when it comes to personal style. If you are questioning whether or not something should be purchased or held onto or worn, "Would Grace or Audrey wear it?" If they wouldn't, then it's out. I pretty much follow the rule too, and my roommate, who has christened me her style guru, a title I took humbly but with great honor, asked me one time how I did it. I shared with her the rule and now she follows it as well.

I've recently amended the rule to include Blair Waldorf, not much of a surprise, because she pretty much follows the rule too.

3 comments:

Jen said...

That is an adorable picture. =)

preppyplayer said...

great post, illustrated perfectly.

brat_packer said...

I share this affliction especially considering I'm Holly after Holly Golightly. Audrey is my goddess but my fav blonde will always be Marilyn, proof that you don't have to be a stick to be sexy!