Thursday, October 1, 2009

What's new and why I'm into it

OK, so I know I've been MIA for the past week. It was a busy school week, followed by two more busy school weeks coming up, (although I'm hitting Springsteen at Giant's stadium tomorrow night! Expect pictures and a set list! He's playing the entire Darkness On The Edge of Town album, it should be legen...wait for it...) But I figured to get caught up was a lost cause at this point. I barely had time to watch all of my shows, let alone write about them. So, to cover the Season and Series premiere stuff, I'm writing about what I liked best and least. This post? What I like in new TV, what I think is going to stick around. (dary! See what I did there?)

Favorite New Show: Glee. Without a doubt. This might be the best show I've seen on TV in a really long time. It doesn't hurt that I'm a mondo theater geek and this show has everything that I love, plus a really spot on showing of what my high school experience was like. Oh Mercedes! How I relate to you and you curvy fabulousness, and your incurable crush on a gay guy! Oh Rachel, how is it that you are exactly like those girls I hung out with even though I thought they were horrible? Oh Finn, how are you the guy I dreamed up and never found in high school, the hunky football player who also loves to sing and is OK with waiting until marriage to have sex! (Such boys do not really exist, btw. Hunky football players, even if they like to sing, never notice nerdy uptight theater geeks. SIGH) Plus last night Kristin Chenoweth sang both "Maybe this time," from Cabaret and Carrie Underwood's "Last Name." Hi, BEST SHOW EVER!

Best New Show (Drama): The Good Wife. True, I'm not picking up too many new dramas, but lets face it, you can't get much better than this. The pilot was pitch perfect, and the second episode on Tuesday set up a nice little path for the show to take, and showed Alicia as a strong, confident and independent woman. Plus Chris Noth is sooo good at playing skeez.

Best New Show (Comedy): Modern Family. Ed O'Neil leads this perfectly executed little show. Centering around an extended family and three of its units. One, the nuclear family, Mom, Dad and three kids, the other her father and his second wife and her son, the third, her brother, his life partner and their newly adopted daughter. O'Neil is playing off of Al Bundy for sure, but underneath it he's showing a sensitive super dad side that we've never seen before. Plus Julie Bowen, who I've had a soft spot for since Happy Gilmore.

Other things I've liked: The Vampire Diaries (dur), NCIS: Los Angeles and Cougar Town. I haven't gotten to Flash Forward yet, maybe this weekend, and V is still a few weeks away, but we're getting there.

No comments: