Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'm back...and so are others.

OK! First of all I am soo sorry for my lack of posting in the past few weeks (midterm time, ick!) But this week's Gossip Girl got me off of my proverbial ass and back to being who I am. That is a person who not only reports on but over analyzes pop culture. So I am once again bringing a format change around, to accommodate my school schedule and what I really want to be doing. More analysis less summary! I'm an English major people, this is what I do.

So, how does Gossip Girl fit into this? This week's episode was all about finding oneself. And Tyra being crazy.

First of all I love that Serena's quest to find herself led her to become a PR girl. This is the perfect job for Serena, not being a full blown publicist mind you, because she's way too self centered. But I could totally see her ending up in event planning, you know becoming one of those girls like in that Lauren Weisberger book Everyone Worth Knowing who just goes to clubs to scout locations for celebrity parties. Serena would be great at that.

Nate trying to explain who Olivia Burke (Hilary Duff) is to Dan reminded me of the time my friend Chris didn't know who Spiedi were. But Dan often reminds me of Chris. Also they did it! Nate had a personality. He played a playful silly trick on Dan, by not telling him who Olivia was tee hee! Chase Crawford actually laughed playfully on camera with the same subtlety as say an Ashton Kutcher. Not that I'd compare Nate to Kelso...except for the man slut-ness, and the bossy brunette ex girlfriend who left him for his way hotter and more competent bestie...OK, so maybe I would compare Nate to Kelso. And Dan is TOTALLY Eric. Chuck gets to be Hyde. Carter can be that annoying guy they brought in when Topher and Ashton left the show. I've already established that Blair is Jackie, and Serena can be Donna, except not as cool and whines a lot more. Jenny and Eric combined get Fez. OK, I'm done with that game.

Lilly was BACK! Rufus did a Lilly impression. I can't even begin to analyze, I was simply overjoyed.

Blair's storyline criss crossed with Jenny and Eric's, which was a blessing. Jenny got to Constance on the first day ready to abolish high school hierarchy. It didn't work because the new mean girls (sporting leather jackets, ruffles on their uniform skirts an too much eye makeup) reported this news to Blair and she horrified headed right uptown to fix it. Chuck tried to tell her she was being delusional and eventually gave her what was supposed to be an inspirational speech but mostly just reminded her that he is awesome! Plus he reminded Jenny that two years ago, she wanted to be queen and that girl should totally start ruling at Constance. Then Blair found some minions at NYU. The new minions, both Jenny's and Blair's are adequate but I miss Nellie Yuki. Not Hazel though. Oh right and during all of this, Eric got to be snarky, so wonderful and gay and snarky. I was pleased.

Oh right, and Chuck sending Blair her old Constance uniform with a note saying to wear it that night. HILARIOUS.

Now, I'll move on the this whole idea of Tyra and Hilary's movie. (Or should I say Ursula and Olivia's) Three Words: Hilary's French Accent. It was worse than her Italian accent at the end of The Lizzie McGuire Movie. I shouldn't say that. It was actually the same accent. But damn, she did look cute in a beret, and Georgina in the scenes for next weeks episode called her "The Whore" which was just perfect, because oh yeah, you don't cheat on crazy with a cutie teen idol. Crazy will KILL you.

No comments: