Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Almost Paradise

Director Kenny Ortega has walked away from the new Footloose film. Check out the full story here.

I'm really bummed. I think Ortega is a good director (HSM and Newsies have their flaws, but they're well directed films) and an unbelievable choreographer. Honestly, he was the redeeming factor for me when it came to this film.

I also think it's interesting that this was conceived as a project for Ortega and Zack Efron and now they've both walked away. Not promising, I can tell you that much.

Although I love Chace Crawford and Julianne Hough, I'm just not convinced that they're going to be able to pull off Footloose. Ren and Ariel are pretty complicated and difficult characters. Ren has to both brood and make the best of things at the same time. While we all love watching Chace brood, something Josh Scwartz hasn't let him do lately, I'm not sure he'll be able to pull off the making the best of it aspect. Although maybe he has hidden depths. To be fair, I wasn't sure Efron could pull off the acting necessary either, but we knew he had the singing and dancing aspect.

Ariel has to flirt with the line of being extremely unlikable. She's petulant, spoiled, impulsive (in the bad way) and demanding. I love Julianne. Adore her. I even voted for Adam Corrolla on DWTS just to keep Julianne around, I'm just not sure if she can surrender the cuteness and the million watt dancer smile for long enough to see the pain that Ariel's going through without taking it so far as to make us hate her.

I was really looking forward to seeing what Ortega did with it. He handles emotion very well in his movies, and one just has to watch Newsies to see how good he can be at "One kid against the world" story.

But then again, that kid was Christian Bale...something tells me Bruce Wayne can do a bit more than Nate Archibald.

What do you think of Ortega's exit?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

here's what i think. i think it might not happen. and do you know what i think about THAT? "Yay!" is what i think about that. the world has enough to deal with between terrorists and the existing incarnations of footloose. give us a break.

Reenie said...

Gee Katie, tell us how you really feel.

Although I love how you compare the multiple incarnations of footloose to terrorism.