Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Reading: Queen of Babble Gets Hitched


I've written at length about how much I love Meg Cabot, so when I finally read the finale to the Queen of Babble triology last night and this morning, I was expecting great things. I was a little disappointed.


Queen of Babble revolves around the lovably neurotic and big mouthed Lizzie Nichols. By the time Gets Hitched begins Lizzie is living in New York City, working in a West Side bridal shop, and recently engaged to her dreamy French Aristocrat boyfriend Luke, after having spent New Years Eve with his best friend and her recently out of the closeted best friend's ex Chaz. (to clarify, Lizzie's friend Shari is the gay one, not Chaz) SCANDALOUS, I know. As the year rolls on Lizzie and Luke put off planning their wedding and Chaz and Lizzie continue to deny they have feelings for each other.


This is Cabot so I'm sure you can guess the ending. Anyway, I laughed a few times, not as much as I usually do. It was a nice capstone to the triology, although unlike The Princess Diaries series it didn't build, each installment wasn't better than the last but in fact worst. The first Queen of Babble remains one of my favorite books, but it's sequels are definitely sub standard.

No comments: