Thursday, June 18, 2009

In Praise of: Degrassi The Next Generation


For the past 3 days I've been watching the Degrassi: Every Episode Ever marathon on The N.



It's kind of hard to believe this show has been on for 11 seasons (Whoa right?) I'm up to season 3 now (a season I actually own on DVD, it's the best one.) I have to say, being in high school when the show was at it's height, I really appreciated it. My friends and I used to go to one house and have Degrassi parties on Friday nights (we were super cool). We all had crushes on Craig, although these days we prefer the more constant Spinner, or the ever noble Sean, thought Ellie was the coolest ever and compared every slutty girl we ever met to Manny.


I say season three is the best, because it is. In season 3, Craig cheated on Ash with Manny, she got pregnant and had an abortion. Paige and Spinner were dating, Ellie became a cutter, Marco came out of the closet, and Jimmy could still walk.


Degrassi is primarily an issues based show. It's basically eleven seasons of very special episodes. I still mourn for JT, harbor resentment for Craig's shabby treatment of Ellie, and I'm wary of genetically modified foods because Emma said they were bad.


Oh right, and I still totally have a crush on Craig, even if he is a coke addicted bipolar asshat.

3 comments:

brat_packer said...

Please tell me you are a Semma because they are totally meant to be! I know i'm sad but i;m okay with that, also Jay and Manny are also perfect coupling! JT is missed muchly

Reenie said...

I'm totally Semma! Honestly? Who isn't? I feel bad for anyone else she dates, because it's like, as soon as Sean comes back, it's so over! I also love Jay and Manny, although my ultimate fave Degrassi couple is Spinner/Paige. I just think that they're so perfect. Honeybee forever!

Unknown said...

Once you start Watch Degrassi the next generation episodes online show, you start to think how much your life relates to it.Degrassi is a great show for teens as well as adults. You begin bonding with this show.Degrassi is a great show for teens and even though it is entertaining.