Saturday, October 11, 2008

Whatever it takes...

So due to my Smallville binge (seriously I'm hooked, but is it just me or is Lana Lang just really annoying and did they make Lois completely awesome and badass on purpose? I mean, I've always thought Lois Lane was totally lame!) Anyway, that's another story for another day, due to this binge I sort of skipped most of my shows this week and I've spent the last two days (OH GLORIOUS BREAK) catching up. 90210 did nothing worthy of comment this week, except that Stylan and Donda almost kissed. Again. Woo. So I will instead discuss something else, Degrassi: The Next Generation Season 1,000,000 Premiere. OK, so Degrassi hasn't actually been on for a million years. But it feels like it. But, for the sake of argument let's look at who from the original cast is left.

1. Emma
2. Manny
3. Liberty
4. Spinner
5. Snake

No kids, I'm serious, that's it! This season we have no Jimmy, no Paige! (NO PAIGE! UGH! Hon, this is such a problem!) no Toby, obviously no JT (Shut up! He'll be back. I don't care, JT isn't dead!) This is like ER level exodus. Anyway, that being said, the new already established characters, ie, Anya, Holly J, Mia, Danny, Sav, I like them. I do. Also Darcy? She's still at Degrassi, it's kind of amazing that she manages to go to Degrassi and West Beverly at the same time! I know crazy right? Anyway, they're all good, and I'm happy to see them back, I am sad to see no Ellie and no Marco. I love Ellie and Marco. They're the best ever. The episode focused on Mia, (Good choice since she is intimately connected to the original cast.) and her quest to be a model. The story line was Degrassi-heavy. Mia makes the mistake of sleeping with a booker to get a job, falls into the glamorous Toronto modeling world. (Yeah, I know, it's a leap of faith) and forgets little things like, oh, her daughter, and her school, and her blossoming romance with Danny (Major ick factor, what with Mia being JT's girlfriend, and Danny being Liberty's brother, I'm just saying!) and then learns her lesson before its too too late, but not before selling her soul to Holly J.

The B story focused on the new new characters. Darcy's little sister Claire is now at Degrassi, still wearing her private school uniform (weird) and in the gifted program, with Snake's conveniently existing nephew uh, let's call him Toby? and this badass smart sensitive skater guy who we'll call um, Sean? and Sav's smart but sorta skanky little sister, let's go with Manny? Anyway, Sean and Claire are all awkwardy grade 9 flrity with each other, but she's also sort of getting her weird smart girl flirt on with Snake's nephew. So looks like we've got ourselves a new Degrassi love triangle...It won't be MannyCraigAshley, but nothing ever will be. Ever again. And we all just have to live with it.

The third story line (Oh yes 3 stories in one hour long episode!) was Emma, Manny and Liberty starting at Smithdale. Manny and Liberty make new friends, and Manny's introducing herself as Mauela...Emma freaks out! Why can't they just be three best friends and not meet new people! Emma hates change, in case we haven't observed this over the past twenty million episodes. Anyway, she changes their housing and now they live with a boy, DRAMA! Emma and boy befriend each other. Too bad for him once Sean gets home from Iraq, he's done.

All in all it was a fine episode, I just don't know what I'm going to do without Marco. I love Marco! Anyway, as long as Emma and Manny are around it'll be fine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reeenie!!! OK so I really don't know how I feel about this new degrassi cast. NO ONE is back and it's just not degrassi anymore.I enjoy the new asian girl since Kendra was mad lame...but the skanky indian girl and all these absurd freshman are not my style. The Emma plotline was lame too. Also, Danny and Derek were always the lamest characters. haha Idk, of course I'll still watch it but it makes me feel really old haha

and I thought the new 90210 was great! well, just the Adrianna plotline but the ending was so intense!

much love, Johnny