Monday, October 20, 2008

A detour, we're all in this together.

So coming up this week is HSM 3.

I'm debating walking down the hill to the shitty near campus movie theater to see it on Saturday afternoon, the problem being I have no HSM fan friends out here. Another part of me wants to wait on it, wait to see it with the friends who I curled up on a couch three years ago with and watched the first one. Of course if I do that I probably won't get to it at all, since one of said friends is in England at the moment.

There's something magical about High School Musical, or there was. It was something simple and basic and special. It was a throwback, like some kind of half baked churned out musical from the 1940s, the kind that Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly passed on. Then it exploded and the magic was sort of gone. It killed the scene, that's for sure. There was a pocket of us, The Theatre Geeks, we don't exist anymore, that group of kids who used to stop all action in the room at the sound of Idina Menzel's voice. Anyway, The HSM phenomenon was the death knell of that.

Then came HSM 2. Which in my opinion is the superior film but the worse movie, if that makes any sense. In theory, it's better, the choreography is more complex, the songs more intricate, the vocals more professional even the cinematography cleaner, but there wasn't as much magic. Sure there was more Lucas Grabeel and Corbin Bleu (By far the two biggest talents to emerge from the series) and Zac Efron had gotten sexy, but it just wasn't enough.

Now 3 comes, a full length feature film in the theaters release. HSM has probably gotten too big for it's britches and I don't like it. I haven't heard any of the songs yet, and I've only watched the basic trailer. Although Lucas in white tails and a matching top hat does excite me. And there seems to be lots of shirtless wet Zefron happening. But I refuse to get my hopes up or to become emotionally invested.

Saying that you know I'm going to cry like a baby at the graduation scene.

No comments: