Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Music


So I'm graduating on Sunday (terrifying) and I'm kind of focused on that, plus next week my theatre group has it's auditions for The Drowsy Chaperone. (Details Here) So I'm a little busy, but I didn't want to leave the blog unupdated all week, so I've lined up a few guest bloggers.

First up, Mary, my sister, who I have oft referred to as "Rock Star" made a summer playlist to consider. I asked her to do it, because music is her thing, much more than its mine, (if I were to make a summer playlist it wouldn't be so much a playlist as "Play lots of Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, Beach Boys and country music as loud as possible!") so here's Mary's significantly more nuanced and cool version.

From Mary:

So some of these songs have specific reasons for being included, which I added next to them. The ones with no comments are just on there because they kick ass. Enjoy.

  1. Romeo - Sublime. because nothing screams summer quite like sublime
  2. You Are a Tourist - Death Cab For Cutie. Their new single. It's going to be on the radio all summer so for those who don't listen to the radio you can feel like you're in the loop. Plus like all Death Cab songs I love it.
  3. Desperation Song - carbon leaf
  4. Awake My Soul - Mumford and Sons. Cuz a slow song every once in a while is necessary
  5. Cult Logic - Miike Snow
  6. The Set Up (You Need This) - Reel Big Fish. Because I've never made a summer playlist without at least one reel big fish song
  7. Far - Coheed and Cambria. (Editors note: The Greatest Band EVER) Because I've never made ANY playlist without at least one coheed song
  8. Casanova, Baby - The Gaslight Anthem. Because they're fun and i want to listen to them all the time
  9. Stitch Me Up - fun. Awesome song that I just heard because it's only on the deluxe version of Aim and Ignite
  10. Temptation Greets You Like a Naughty Friend - Arctic Monkeys. Because a little british punk never hurt anyone and the random rap in the middle is my favorite part.
  11. The City - The Dismemberment Plan
  12. Crazy (from The Basement Version) - Gnarls Barkely. Because everybody in the world should hear this amazing acoustic version of the song. And who doesn't love Cee Lo these days?
  13. Satellite Mind - Metric
  14. Diamonds in The Sky - Steel Train
  15. Drumming - Florence and The Machine
  16. Long Distance Call - Phoenix
  17. Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear
  18. Who Watches the Watchmen - The Prize Fighter Inferno. Because I said so.
  19. Came Out of a Lady - Rubblebucket. Because every summer playlist needs a song that anybody can dance around to.
  20. We Are The Few - Streetlight Manifesto Summer without ska is not summer at all.
Happy Summer Everyone!

Mary Nayden is my sister and is way cooler than I am. She will be among the first people to tell you this.

No comments: