Thursday, May 12, 2011

Down the Shore Everything's Alright

As summer approaches I keep thinking about all of the stuff that I love about summer. Not being in my college town is a big one, (A place I never HAVE to go back to again, woo hoo!) my show with Tom-Foolery Theatre is another (email tomfoolerytheatre@gmail.com for details!) and the Jersey Shore is another. Now, let me make something clear...something that I've had to make way too clear to people over the past few years. My experience of the Jersey Shore has very little to do with these idiots:

Morons

Although like them, there is a lot of drinking involved. But there is where the similarities end. Let me walk you through what my shore vacation will probably look like, it lasts Sunday-Sunday, usually:

Sunday: Drive down to shore in packed up car with mother. Blare Springsteen. If lucky, use convertible, probably get sunburned because refuse to wear hat. Get "I told you so" from mother, but mostly just funny. Arrive at small, dark house on bayfront, with at least 2 beds to each bedroom. Bite tongue while parents have quasi argument over where to house beer. Drink lots of beer with sister while father or brother cooks hamburgers. Eat hamburgers, stay up late listening to more Springsteen, with possible Jimmy Buffett being rotated in.

Monday: Wake up excruciatingly early to either drive home/take train to NYC for work. Work. go home, or if get out of work early enough for it to be worth it, go back to shore. If go to shore at night, find several of sister's/parent's inebriated friends. Play Kings, watch father's face get more and more red from booze blush.

Tuesday-Thursday: Repeat Monday.

Friday: Repeat Monday-Thursday, but this time, ASK boss for afternoon off so can catch some sun. Make sure I have new Philippa Gregory/Meg Cabot/Jen Lancaster/whatever book for beach reading. Get to house, drink beers, go to beach. Sit on beach for several hours, swim in ocean. House still co ocupied by sister's friends (usually), so new round of kings.

Saturday: Wake up early, eat awesome shore baked goods for breakfast. Sit outside and read at same time as father. Go to beach around noon, tan, swim, read, listen to i-pod. Go home, shower, head to boardwalk, eat pizza and fried food. Come home, drink many beers.

Sunday: Repeat Saturday. Then pack, drive back to Bergen and go to bed.

So, that's the real shore, as I experience it. And since we're hoping to get a house this year, I'll get to experience this again! What are other people looking forward to this summer?

No comments: