Sunday, June 19, 2011

RIP Big Man

It's been a while since I posted, and I could easily write pages and pages and pages about the unbelievable loss to music that the passing of Clarence Clemons represents.

I nearly burst into tears yesterday, before he even died, because I heard "Edge of Glory" on the radio, and while the song is good, The Big Man's work on it is haunting and gorgeous.

But really, I can't stop thinking about the first time I saw a Springsteen concert and it was just billed, "Bruce Springsteen with special guests The Max Weinberg 7."

I was 13 and I was terrified that Clarence wouldn't be there...and then thrilled when he was.

It's all terribly, terribly sad.

The change was made uptown and the Big Man joined the band
From the coastline to the city all the little pretties raised their hands
I'm gonna sit back right easy and laugh
While Scooter and the Big Man bust this city in half
With a 10th Avenue freeze out.
-10th Avenue Freeze Out - Bruce Springsteen

No comments: