Thursday, March 3, 2011

Any Dream Will Do


It's funny how the simplest offhand comment can set your mind going...

Yesterday, my horoscope was about dreams, and how great leaders often looked to dream interpreters as the wisest, and honored them...

Which prompted my mother to comment, that my horoscope recounted the story of Joseph, from the Bible. Or um, if you're me and my mother, (who both love the Bible, don't misinterpret!) from Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice's Pop Opera Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

My CD copy of the 1993 Canadian Cast Recording, featuring Donny Osmond as Joseph (Don't let the words, "Canadian" and "Osmond" automatically put you off, it's widely regarded as the best version) went missing ages ago, and I can't find any downloads of it, legal or otherwise. Which means I'm probably going to have to place an Amazon order for a new hard copy, since I doubt I'll be able to find it out in the real world either, so I've had to rely on Youtube clips to assuage my craving.

Anyway, if you're not familiar with the show, get yourself familiar. It's easily some of Weber's best music (written while he was still in school, I believe) and Tim Rice's lyrics are as always flawless. Even at my snobbiest theater geek levels, I remained a staunch Weber apologist. Sure, he can you know, go astray. (*cough* Starlight Express *cough* whichialsokindoflovebutthatsanentirelydifferentstory *cough*) and the show has some pure camp moments that can get kind of cringy...but it has two of his best ballads, "Any Dream Will Do" and "Close Every Door" as well as the camptastic but awesome "Benjamin Calypso" and "Song of The King" where an Elvis impersonating Pharoah tells Joseph his dreams.

Just a little slice of life and thought that I've been having...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I may still have my actual, physical CD copy of the Canadian/Donny Osmond version...

Reenie said...

It's kind of weird, because Amazon has EVERY other version available for instant download. I have a feeling that there's some Osmond control crazy happening for that one.

Also, strangely they have every possible version of Starlight...and I will neither confirm nor deny whether I bought one.

Mommy said...

"Starlight Express!" How did Daddy & I ever expect to NOT raise three theater geeks?

Reenie said...

Really, Mom, you have no one to blame but yourselves...

Susan said...

Lovin' your blog, Reenie (being a blogger myself)! AND, I too am a theatre geek, in a house where NO one appreciates any theatre!

Susan said...

PS...
http://susanssunnyside.blogspot.com/