Wednesday, December 2, 2009

You might just make it after all.


God bless Hulu.

Really. Today I was going to watch an episode of 30 Rock on a study break, and saw recommended on the bottom The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

It's been years since I watched Mary Tyler Moore. It's one of my mother's favorites, and we watched it all the time when I was little, back when Nick at Night showed shows that hadn't premiered when I can remember them or were even cancelled before I was born. (I remember watching the first seasons of The Nanny, George Lopez, Malcolm in The Middle and Everybody Hates Chris.)

It's hard to argue how influential Mary Tyler Moore was. If you watch Mary and Rhoda discuss their single girl blues and add some F bombs and more specifics about what goes on between them and their men, you'd have Sex and The City. Mary's dedication to her career and dealings with her misanthopic boss and wacky coworkers clearly inspired Tina Fey and her alter ego Liz Lemmon.

Let's not take away from the show itself though. It's ridiculously funny. Also Mary's miniskirts are so mod and adorable!

1 comment:

Mom said...

And look how well MTM works without F bombs and explicit, casual sex! I'm just saying.