Friday, December 4, 2009

A Glimpse of the Future



This week's Glee definitely took the show to a place it hasn't gone before, and I place I'm pretty sure it will go again, if it wants to transcend itself at any level.

While I love Glee for the music, the laughs and the quasi surreal aspects. But even me, the queen of Sunshine and Butterflies television, was getting frustrated with how clean everything was coming off (and I don't mean clean, like sexless clean, I mean clean, everything wraps up neatly at the end of the episode clean.) but this week Glee went to what my creative non fiction professor refers to as "The Dark Place." (Hi Dr. Krauss!) I used to pull my hair out trying to get there, because I didn't understand what he meant. It's the kind of thing you don't know until you see it. And this week, we saw it.

Will found out that Terry was lying about the pregnancy and we saw not only a side of Will that we've never seen but I side I wasn't sure Morrison had. OK, I'll admit it, Musical Acting is mostly smiles and nodding. There, I said it! So excuse me for thinking that's all Mr. Link Larkin had in him. He doesn't. The scene where he found out was so crazy intense I got what I call the Schindler's giggles (When watching Schindler's List for the first time my body had no way to release how uncomfortable I was watching some of the scenes, namely the one where they march everyone out of the ghetto and the Nazis pull randoms out of line to shoot them, and I got a severe case of the giggles.)

The episode was also about yearbook photos. Principal Figgins decided not to include the glee club, because the picture always gets vandalized. After a lot of hemming and hawing, Quinn manages to blackmail Sue into giving up one of the Cherrio's pages for glee. However the final scene of the show was of the football players drawing all over the page.

Why am I sure that the show will go there again? Well because of this man silly:

(That's Joss Whedon!)

No comments: