Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Best of A Decade: 2000

There's a lot of talk about the "Best Films of The Decade" going on right now. Me, I'm focusing on my favorites from each year, each in their own . These may not be the greatest movies, many of them didn't make money, or win any awards. These are just the ones that mean something to me. Sometimes, these are bad movies. I was twelve when this decade started, and my taste reflects it. These are the movies that mean something to me, they have some special significance.

Or they're just awesome


High Fidelity
John Cusack, Jack Black and an amazing soundtrack. Plus a cameo from Bruce Springsteen. This is a movie that calls up lazy Saturday mornings sitting in my PJs with my sister and my dad, creating our own Top 5s.

All I Wanna Do
This is a movie about an all girls boarding school where Kirsten Dunst, Rachel Leigh Cook and the girl that played Abby on Dawson's have great haircuts and awesome sixties clothes. Also they call penises "the hairy bird." This is a slumber party movie, especially when you go to all girl's school and consider yourselves to be social outcasts, like me and my friends did.

Keeping The Faith
A priest and a rabbi both fall in love with their childhood friend...guess how that ends? Really this movie is just the perfect example of why Edward Norton should do more comedy. I love this movie, because it talks about that idea that me and my youth group friends dealt with that so many people don't acknowledge exists, the young attractive priest. They are out there, and we are very sad every time we see them.

Almost Famous
"Listen to Tommy with a candle burning, it'll change your world." Cameron Crowe's opus to life on the road gives us something to think about. Can rock and roll save the world? Crowe seems to think so, but only in it's purest form. The "industry of cool" that is shown as developing in the movie cannot. But the movie that introduced us to Kate Hudson, and made "Tiny Dancer" a bus trip staple deserves it's place in movie greatness.

Meet The Parents
My friends and I saw this movie the weekend it opened. We laughed harder than we had in a long time. Robert DiNiro turns his icon status into comic gold and Ben Stiller's angry neurotic is better than ever here. Blythe Danner is fabulous too, as Pam's blissfully adorable mother.

Pay It Forward
One of those movies that I loved the first time I saw. Haley Joel Osment is adorably unflappable, Kevin Spacey is smart and interesting and Helen Hunt manages to feel both real and unreal at the same time. The "pay it forward" concept is important, the idea of doing three favors, and saying that all the person need do is do three favors for someone else could change the world. A real pay it forward movement would do this world good.

Miss Congeniality
Sandra Bullock has this amazing ability to be tough and feminine at the same time. Miss Congeniality is prime example of this. Even deeply undercover as a beauty pageant contestant Grace Hart is tough, but she's beautiful. Not to mention this has one of the best supporting casts in the world. Michael Caine, Candace Bergen and William Shatner are spectacular.

Coming for 2001: Save The Last Dance, Legally Blonde, Pearl Harbor and more.

No comments: