Saturday, December 5, 2009

The River don't flow

OK, let's caveat before I start here.

Summer Glau is really good at what she does. Seriously, she does that whole slightly crazy, tilt of the head thing, combined with her sweet littleness, it's terrifying and wonderful to watch.

It really worked on last night's twin episodes of Dollhouse.

I don't love Dollhouse. I never really have. I like it, I'm relieved that it's ending next month, because it means that Joss can move on to other projects (Dr. Horrible sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Anyway, last night's episodes focused on the senator who has been claiming that he has evidence to take down the dollhouse. He does, and the evidence is Madeline aka Melly aka November.

It turns out that the senator himself is a doll. Well, not exactly, he was a political dynasty playboy who Rossum "enhanced" to become the ideal advocate. The plan was to take down Adelle and the LA Dollhouse, giving their tool the political leverage to keep Rossum safe forever. After some trickery on Topher's part, the LA Dollhousers figured out the plan and tried to break it down.

This is where Summer came in. She played Bennet, the genius programmer at the DC Dollhouse. Basically, she was River Tam, her character from Firefly but a more nutso sociopathic River. Like in that episode where she stabbed Jayne, or whenever she heard the code word in Serenity.

I have to admit she did a great job, and I was scared of her. As it turned out Bennet was working with Caroline before Caroline became Echo, and she abandoned her injured, leaving her arm paralyzed. As a result, Bennet is bent on revenge. She tortures Echo to pay for Caroline's crimes.

The real joy came though when Bennet and Topher met and worked together, in a giddy sociopathic nerd love thing. They're really into each other. Meanwhile, with Adelle and Topher off in DC trying to save the dollhouse, Topher left Victor behind, imprinted as him. This was hilarious, and pure joy for me. I've always wanted more Xander....I mean, Wash...I mean Topher.

Anyway, I think Dollhouse has set up a good home stretch for itself.

And it was nice to see River again. We nerds miss her.

No comments: