Friday, November 21, 2008

What a stupid lamb...

OK, so, I got back from Twilight about an hour ago and I have to say I'm highly impressed. I enjoyed every second of it. And I'll dive right in.

The opening, we see Edward stalking down a deer, as Bella reads the preface to the novel. I'd imagine this would be a pretty scary moment to those who don't know the deal. We see Bella's departure from Phoenix, her arrival in Forks. The Charlie and Bella dynamic is perfect, their careful awkwardness is ideal.

Change but perfectly executed: Bella doesn't cook, they eat in a diner every night. This provides an excellent way into Forks, the people of Forks know Bella, even though she doesn't know them.

Another change, Billy and Jacob drive the truck up, we actually see them before we see the Cullens, as a Jacob fan this pleased me. Bella is immediately at ease when Jacob's around, which is nice to see. I'll get into performances later.

Bella's first day at Forks High and the onslaught of male admirers is done perfectly, especially the way Jessica's motives for friendship with Bella are completely obvious, Mike's paying attention to Bella, Jess swoops in. Angela is more sincere, as is the point. Lauren is left out entirely, which is fine. Jess and Angela introduce the Cullens when Bella inquires after them.

The biology scene is hilarious, and I can imagine confusing to those who don't know the deal. Edward trying to hold his breath and Bella continually smelling herself afraid she has BO is so awkwardly and perfectly executed. As are the rest of their courting scenes. Even when they get together, if you took out the supernatural elements their relationship could simply be between the nice girl and the bad boy. Edward could be Jess Mariano, or James Dean, the point is that Bella should stay away from him, but she can't.

The baseball scene is unbelievable, I always had trouble reading that part, it didn't make sense to me, I couldn't visual the super fast, super athletic vampires. Seeing that scene made it real for me.

And the fight in the ballet studio was beautifully done, it was a nice pay off I'm sure for all the poor boyfriends who are being dragged to watch their girlfriends drool over Edward Cullen.

And then the prom scene. Another change, Bella seems less resistant, not to mention the prom isn't in the Forks High Gym, but whatever. Jacob's appearance and his warning to Bella is more sincere, you get the feeling that in the movie universe, Jacob is already a wolf, he already knows the deal. I could be wrong though. I had a giggle moment that I had to stifle a bit, as Edward walked Bella away from Jacob he mutters, "I leave you alone for 2 minutes and the wolves descend." I actually snorted I was so happy. The glare that Edward and Jacob exchange too, ah, no words. Chills, though definitely chills.

And the twist ending sets up Eclipse as well as New Moon. We saw the birth of a film series.

Now onto the individual performances. Let's start with the smaller parts. The human friends were perfect. It was really a thrill for me to see Anna Kendrick up on the big screen, even if she didn't sing lol. The Cullens were ideal, almost exact, especially Emmet, considering how small his part was he got his playful bearlike attitude across perfectly. I was a little disappointed because Carlisle backstory was cut for time, I understood the cutting but still, I would have liked to have seen it.

Kristen Stewart was unreal. She's going to be a star, and I really hope that Bella doesn't end up pigeon holing her, and that she agrees to the sequels. She was Bella, perfectly incarnate, I was very impressed.

Robert Pattinson was unbelievable. I take back every doubt I had. He was just perfect. He exuded Edward's confident discomfort. Not to mention because I read them all in a chunk the way I did, I forgot that in Twilight Edward is stiffer, more scared. It's not until Eclipse that he relaxes, and lets go and is really himself.

ANND Taylor Lautner. So adorable, wanted to hug him. <3 My Jacob. End of Story.

All in all, I was impressed, happy even. Maybe I'll get back to you all after my second look but I wouldn't count on it. I have a feeling this is always going to be good.

No comments: